Monday, March 18, 2013

Registrars of Voters want to know more about, assure the security of, e-inits


Two California County Registrars of Voters were contacted today by Etopia News and asked their views about allowing registered California voters to sign official initiative and other petitions online.  Each of them said that they didn’t know enough about the subject to comment on it.

            Carolyn Crnich, Registrar of Voters of Humboldt County said, “I really don’t know enough about it.  I’d like to know more about it, like how the signatures will be kept secure.  I’d like to know more about it before I offer an opinion.  I’d want to know it was secure before it was approved.”

            Shannon Bushey, Interim Registrar of Voters of Santa Clara County, said “About eight weeks into being the Interim Registrar of Voters, I have no position [on e-inits].  I don’t know enough.”

            “e-inits/electronic initiatives” are a contemporary variant of turn-of-the-century “Smart Initiatives,” about which more can be found here.

 Supporters of allowing California's registered voters to use the same basic technology currently employed by the state's Secretary of State to authenticate voter registrations to sign initiative, referendum, recall, and in lieu petitions securely online have been congregating online here.

No comments: